Sunday, June 22, 2008

Protected Goes Bad

Everyone knows songs purcahsed from iTunes are in a "protected" AAC format (also known as m4P) which renders it incompatible with any any thing that is not Apple or i"anything". Many of us have been frustrated or angry with this restriction of our well purchased songs, but there is a way...

In my naivete I found a simple solution. I burned four songs onto a CD, three of them purchased in iTunes (thus in protected AAC). Today I decided to test my experiment on Windows Media Player and play the first song in the CD that was from the iTunes store. And, it worked! Clearly, it was a simple solution to a very bothersome problem; I didn't have to reformat anything at all! My happiness was confirmed further when all four songs were successfully copied to the Media Player's library.

For this amazing technological feat I would like to thank my mother for giving me my very first cell phone, the Samsung Juke, my older brother for telling me of a website where I can make my own ringtones free, and La Oreja De Van Gogh for their song "Muñeca De Trapo" the first song from iTunes that I heard on the Media Player as well as "Aquarius" from the movie soundtrack for being my first music ringtone. Thank you all very much for your influence.
Now, I don't fear too much of any repercussions for this is an extremely obscure blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gasp! You cicumvented the song protection? It's all over the Internet!

Just kidding, good job. I'm a BIG fan of La Oreja de Van Gogh so I have Google Alerts notify me when their name is found on the Internet, so I just wanted to make you aware of that. I just sent a link to the video for "Muñeca de Trapo" to a friend last night.
take care