Friday, October 2, 2009

Music List #2

When I saw this assignment, I was extremely excited. I felt that I would have the most awesome field day with this. Anyway, I tried to have a pretty equal distribution of sex and drug songs but I realized that I don't have as much drug songs as I thought. This is still a great opportunity to show case some great music. And, again there are other great songs about this subject matter.

5. Gold Dust Woman Fleetwood Mac - On the Classic Albums Series, Stevie Nicks mentioned that this song is about cocaine and how someone else would be dealing with the issues she was going through during the making of the Rumours album. This is a great example of an abstract, sort of weird song that taps into your subconscious very successfully.

4. White Rabbit Jefferson Airplane - Some of my friends really enjoy this song and honestly, I find this song to be meditative and a way to channel some of those inner feelings. It's a brilliantly well-written allegory of LSD as Alice in Wonderland.

3. Shimmy Shimmy Ya Ol' Dirty Bastard - Like I mentioned before, I'm a sucker for great piano. Also, it has one of the best lines sung in the most unique way: "Oh baby I like raw/ Yeah baby I like it raw/ Ooh baby I like raw/ Yeah baby I like it raw"

2. Narc Interpol - My little brother described this as the perfect song. I have to agree that it is part of that upper echelon but whether he knows this or not, Narc is pure sex. I didn't realize this until maybe a year ago (It definitely mentions sex but I never had the impression of complete sexuality/sensuality before). From the opening guitar riff to the first line and right until the end, this song is just heartbreakingly perfect.

1. Sex and Candy Marcy Playground - This song is also perfection in its seductive music. I heard this song in store, I think, and it was so distantly familiar, like a memory from my childhood many years ago. I found out what this song was from VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the Nineties, so the correlation makes sense even though I don't concretely remember seeing the music video when I was six or seven. Anyway, it is, like, the best sex song ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good list! 10/10